Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sunday, January 22nd

4:30am is a far better time to be falling asleep than waking up.  Eleven degrees below zero is not an acceptable temperature under any condition.  This is how SugarDust and I began our cross country trip.  I was worried that the garage door would be frozen shut and I'd have to smash through it A-Team style.  I know that sounds irrational, why not just wait until it warms up?  This is Maine, it doesn't warm up til April.  I would not be spending another moment in that barren wasteland they call wintertime.  As much as I love Maine that love quickly dies starting around January 2nd.  From that day on it's just a slow march toward, well, toward March.  And even when you make it to March it's not so great.  No, I was heading for greener pastures and no electronic garage door would be stopping me.  Lucky for the door it opened right up.  It must have known better than to disobey me.  Stupid door. 

So after that totally imagined crisis was averted I picked up SugarDust from his place.  I was pleased to find out that he hadn't slept all night.  Perfect!  That's just what I want in a co-pilot.  Someone that is sleep deprived.  I was informed that it was okay that he hadn't slept all night because he had previously slept nineteen hours straight the day before.  Even better!  The sleep habits of a Meth addict.  Who wouldn't want to travel across country with that?  Luckily, our first leg of the journey was only to New Jersey so I would not need to be relieved during the drive.  As it turned out the 500 miles to North Jersey was our second shortest drive of the trip.  We did it in about 7 and a half hours.  Not counting the ninety minute delay trying to navigate the unmarked streets of Bergenfield. 

Why leave so early if we are only driving 500 miles?  Because areas of the country like Central Massachusetts and Northern Connecticut are best experienced at around 80mph in the dark.  There is nothing worth seeing so why bother to burn any daylight with looking around.  Also, the NFC and AFC Conference Championship games would be starting by 3:30 and I did not want to miss kickoff.  This portion of the trip was not a pleasure cruise.  We did not take any pictures of any sites along the way or stop for any longer than it takes to fill a sixteen gallon gas tank.  This was the opening round and we were setting the tone of the fight.  Establishing the pace.  We didn't know exactly how far we'd be driving when all was said and done but we intended to drive the road and not let the road drive us.  Okay, I'm not really sure what all of that last part means.  Basically we just wanted to get the hell out of sub-zero temperatures and get our trip started.  We did it and then some but I did miss the opening kick-off.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment