Saturday, September 29, 2012

NFL WEEK 4

I would like to start this post with a message to one of my non-readers.  A blog that only receives about forty readers per day has significantly more non-readers than readers but this non-reader is kinda famous.  Peter Clay Carroll, this blog is dedicated to you. 

Pete, for the last week I've listened to you sound like a petulant child.  A kid that got away with something but won't acknowledge he got away with it.  Instead insisting he deserved it.  No wink and nod like your rookie QB, Russell Wilson, was smart enough to do.  No we caught a lucky break on that one. Nothing but the ridiculous insistence that the officials were "right on point" and "saw the whole thing."  Insisting that it was then reviewed in the booth and the next day by the NFL and the call stands.  I don't know if this ludicrous stance was dictated to you by the powers that be or if Peter Clay Carroll decided on your own a complete and total refusal to even slightly hint at the atrocity of the call would eventually lead people to forget what occurred on the final play.  We'll call it the Fox News approach.  The hope that if you say something enough - "it was simultaneous when they went to the ground" - no matter how inaccurate it is to the rules or the facts, one day someone will be fool enough to believe it.  Who knew Pete Carroll was a Tea Partier?

In an effort for full disclosure, I have never been the biggest fan of Pete Carroll, head coach.  Not that I dislike you personally.  I have no idea what you're like as a person.  Good or bad.  You're probably a great guy.  You certainly seem well liked.  No, I wasn't a fan because I lived in NYC while you coached the Jets. Moved to Boston on the tail end of your stint with the Patriots.  Follow the NFL to a fault and have never seen any evidence to convince me you're a very good coach.  Also, I wasn't too impressed with how you bolted from USC when they shit was about to hit the fan. The nonsense this week confirmed all my long held beliefs.  Pete Carroll gives interviews like an over caffeinated phys ed teacher gives sex ed classes.  Rambling, incoherent and mildly uncomfortable with the whole thing.  If I didn't know what you were talking about before the question was asked I'm even more confused by your answer. 

In closing, I will now be actively rooting against you, Pete Carroll, and your team, the Seattle Seahawks.  Where as before I didn't believe Seattle mattered enough as a city or a team to invest anything greater than a passing moment of thought I will now attempt to cultivate negative energy against them. I doubt I'm alone on this.  With reports of gambling swings in the 500 billion range based on that horrific call, you can be pretty certain Seattle has generated a veritable tsunami of bad karma.  I'm kinda excited for the possibilities of heartbeaking losses that await the Seahawks the remainder of the season.

Okay, now that we've cleared the air on how I feel about what went on last Monday night let's get to the NFL picks!  I'm already 0-1 after picking the Ravens -11 over the Browns. Thanks, Joe Flacco, for reminding me why I should never give up more than -6.5 on you.

FALCONS -7 over Panthers - All the things I said last year about why Cam Newton wasn't a reliable starting QB in the NFL are being proven to be true this year.  Why'd it take a year? You got me but even Ryan Leaf looked halfway decent in his first few starts.  I'm not saying Cam is the next Ryan Leaf but don't be surprised if by the end of the 2013 season Carolina is shopping him.

Patriots -3.5 over BILLS - I think the Bills will be a solid team, maybe even a playoff team but I cannot imagine the Pats losing three in a row.  They win and they win huge. 

LIONS -4 over Vikings - Tremendous win for the Vikes last week.  Almost a " this is their Super Bowl" type win.  I expect a letdown this week as a result.  Throw in the Lions blowing the OT against the Titans and they'll be up big for a home divisional game.

Chargers pick'em over CHIEFS - If the Chiefs had the ability to stop anyone I'd be all over them against Norv Turner on the road in division but... Okay - Strike that CHIEFS OVER CHARGERS!  I'm so glad I remembered how poorly coached a squad the Chargers are.

RAMS +3.5 over Seahawks - Why? Because fuck you, Seattle! That's why!

TEXANS -12 over Titans - I just cannot pick against Houston right now.  From top to bottom they are too good.  Jake Locker up against the Texans D? That doesn't sound pretty.

Niners -3.5 over JETS - Jim Harbaugh does not let what happened last week against Minny happen again this week.  He just doesn't.

Raiders +8 over BRONCOS - I hate making this pick but I'm losing faith in Peyton Manning.  I'm not giving that Denver offense over a touchdown to beat a feisty Oakland team by.  Doesn't make sense.

CARDS -4.5 over Dolphins - Arizona might be for real! I could swear there was a rule somewhere about never putting your faith in a guy sporting a billy goat on his chin but - Wow - this team looks good.  Got to like them against a Dolphins team that couldn't put away the struggling Jets at home.

Bengals pick'em over JAGS - I don't know what to make of the Jags.  They look awful to me but then again that was a respectable win against the Colts last week.  I'm gonna stick with my old formula of when the teams look evenly matched go with the one from the stronger division. 

PACKERS -7.5 over 'aints - This will be a blood bath.  Even with the cross country midnight trip on the heels of the prison rape level bad calls the Pack took in Seattle they'll be up for this game.  They'll be up for taking it out on someone. 

Redskins +3 over BUCS - Josh Freeman is not a good quarterback.  I'm 100% convinced of that now.  Schiano will be drafting his QB next year.

Giants +2.5 over EAGLES - The Giants, on the road, as the dog, cannot lose.  I don't know why that is but under Coughlin and Eli it just is.

COWBOYS -3 over Bears - I fully expect some one on Dallas to put Jay Cutler on a stretcher at some point in this game.  Holy shit is that a terrible O-line.

Last week 10-6 (that's right, I'm counting the Packer pick as a W.  For the rest of my life it will be #1 on every list of the worst call of all time)

Overall - 23-23-2









 

No comments:

Post a Comment