Thursday, September 22, 2011

Distinguished in a Cancerous Kind of Way

I've taken up smoking!  I'm sure some of you thought I was joking when I mentioned lighting up one of Dad's old pipes in an effort to eliminate the hospital smell/taste that had been haunting me.  Well, I wasn't joking.  I was totally fucking serious (as serious as cancer, you could say) and I am now knee deep in Pipe Paraphernalia.  Guess what?  The horrible medicinal smell has been wiped out.  Replaced by a far more pungent and at least a little bit pleasing aroma of handcut black cavendish tobacco. 

Earlier today SugarDust (of Raft City fame) and I enjoyed a long smoke on the front porch of his house.  Just two dudes in their late thirties sitting around, tamping our pipes, discussing the weathers effect on our joints and how kids just ain't right these days.  The only thing we were missing was rocking chairs and some wood to whittle. 

Sure my eyes burn a little bit and I can no longer taste most foods but dammit if I don't look a whole lot smarter with that beautiful briar pipe between my teeth.  Pop a pipe in even the most dimwitted of mouths and you're bound to have a more studious looking human being.  Throw on some horn rimmed glasses, tuck a copy of the New Yorker under their arm and you've got yourself a possible college professor.   

My Father left almost two dozen pipes behind - that we have found so far.  I spent the better part of yesterday wandering the dark corners of the internet finding out all kinds of things about pipes.  It's amazing that this underground world wide interweb phenomenon exists given the average age of most pipe smokers and how that rather high number is almost always in reverse relation to computer literacy.  I read about the history of pipe making, who makes the best ones, what smokes the best, so on and so forth.  My bet is only a small portion (probably 40%) was posted by creepy old men that are registered sex offenders.   

Not allowed around schoolyards
My goal is to research, restore and smoke all of them over the next few months.  I've been in need of a hobby since this whole Hodgkin's Lymphoma (sorry, still contractually required to mention it in all posts) thing hit and pipe smoking seems as good as the next.  I bounced around the idea of not taking on a hobby that can cause cancer but that just seemed silly.  The way I figure it, I've already got a pretty full beard, a large collection of plaid flannel shirts and a tangled mane of hair (until I shave it into a Costanza) so pipe smoking was inevitable.  Over the next few days I'll be shopping for a Greek sailors cap and a wooden leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment