Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Mr. Universe

When I was in about fifth grade my parents got me a set of weights and a bench for my birthday.  I had been playing Police Athletic League football for the last two years and I had it in my head that it was time I started adding some big-time bulk to my ten-year-old frame.  They obliged me with a Joe Wieder set that I think totaled out at about 95lbs. 

I remember how excited I was putting it together, setting up the weights and reading the little pamphlet on recommended exercises and the proper technique.  I was convinced that it would only be a matter of days before I was pumping some serious pre-teen muscle.  A matter of months before I looked like the Fully Grown Professional BodyBuilders on the box. 

I quickly found out that I do not care for weight lifting.  Not at eleven years old and not now.  It is a tedious and painful workout.  There is no finish line.  No high or low score.  No winner or loser.  Just count reps, rest, repeat.  There are few things on this planet duller than lifting weights.  I was lucky in a lot of ways.  I'm naturally strong (freakishly so in my legs) and turned out to have a pretty big frame for a little kid (I think the department stores called it Husky back then) so even though I barely touched the weights I got stronger and bigger on my own.  I even got up to the point where I could lift the whole 95lbs at once.  Damn, I thought, I am one sexy middle school bad ass! 

I was thinking about this earlier today as I watched my Father struggle to sit up in his hospital bed.  A man that at one time watched me work out on my Joe Weider weight set.  Saw me revel in my achievement of lifting the Whole Damn 95lbs then proceeded to pick it up with one hand and lift it over his head.  He put it back down and just for good measure changed hands and did it again.  Holy fuckin shit, is what I remember thinking at the time.  It was a very clear message, you're a strong kid but you've got a long way to go before you can best your Old Man.  I have to admit, even pre-Hodgkin's I'd struggle mightily to do that.  I'm not so sure I could do it with my right arm even on my best day. 

Old age and illness have robbed my Dad of that strength.  It's robbed him of his energy and his stamina.  His vim and his vigor. (thought I'd throw in an old fashioned phrase for the older folks that are reading this and with the hopes that the younger generation of readers might adopt it as well.  Other great old time phrases - lollygag, ne'er-do-well and donnybrook.  Start using them today and see how much turn of the century style fun you can have!)  It wasn't until I was about eighteen that I had pulled even with my Dad in a wrestling match.  He was as strong and as tough of a man as I have ever met.  Now he struggles to breath.  Can't do it properly without the aid of a machine.  And yet, in those moments when some old friends come to visit and he's got the oxygen pumping into his lungs just right, he raises up in the bed, his eyes widen, his speech clears up and you can see that amazingly powerful man again.  If only for a moment. 

I'd like to see more of those moments.  I know there aren't that many left but I'd like to see as many more as he can muster for as long as he can muster them (Muster, another great old fashioned word, kids). 

6 comments:

  1. So true. And your Old Man wasn't just a superman in terms of physical prowess. I remember when I lived with your family that I was just coming into my own in terms of (what I though back then was) my sharp, sardonic sense of humor. As sure as I was that there was not possibly anyone over 30 who could verbally-spar with me for more than a round or two, I always loved having a good ol' fashioned back-and-forth with your dad. The man could think on his feet and develop a come-back with greater ease than anyone I had met, or have met since. Seriously, Big Julio was the Dorothy Parker of the Orrington Round Table (ok, perhaps he was 2-3 Dorothy Parkers. She was a small-framed woman).

    I'm not sure why I bring any of this up, other than to say that I also had moments when watched your dad in awe. He really is the whole package; strength and wit, brains and brawn. If only he had ever been half as pretty as he seemed to think he was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules, you did hit him with a piano when he was not looking, one of the cheapest hits I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piano was part of the playing field and was therefore fair game. As I recall he came to after a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll appreciate this, Duncan. His number one thing on the "good care to me means" list at the hospital is Tell Me I'm Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jules, praying for my cousin today and you and the family. Your dad always calls me "the mennonite nurse" even tho i'm not mennonite and don't work as a nurse anymore, he's just a funny guy with the warmest heart. Love to you all! from your cousin in Pennsylvania....Kathe De Sanctis Moyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know your dad was one of the first people to tell me I should go to law school. Funny at that time I was hell bent on being actor and I thought you would end up being the lawyer. You all are in both of our thoughts katie brown

    ReplyDelete