Monday, September 12, 2011

Them Above All

I have to take a moment from all of the chaos of planning my Dad's funeral to tell everyone about some truly amazing people at JetBlue.  I was so moved by how they handled my recent flight cancellation that I thought it would be worth my time to pass it along to all you readers so you might shower them with comments in response.

I had a flight scheduled for the 12th to fly from LA back to Maine.  I wasn't in LA, that flight had been cancelled when my Dad's health started to fail two weeks ago and the good people at AirTran when hearing the reasons for my cancellation were happy to waive any and all fees and wish my Dad the best of luck.  I will have to fly AirTran more often, what they lack in amenities they make up for with outstanding customer service and extremely reasonable prices.  AirTran is aces in my family's book.

So I call JetBlue to let them know and the woman on the phone asks me the reason for the cancellation.  I explain to her my Father's passing, my own cancer and everything that is going on right now that prevents me from flying.  I am then warmly informed that I will be charged One Hundred Dollars (!) to cancel the ticket.  By the way, the ticket cost 185.00 so I'm being charged more than half of it's value.  I asked if there was anything they could do about this given the circumstances, she tells me she has to speak to her manager.  After putting me on hold for about a long enough time to draw a really deep breath she returns to the line and says - Sorry, but that's our policy.

Okay, I can live with the cxl/change fees, they're total bullshit but most every fee the airline charges is bullshit these days.  I accept that and I move on.  But why ask the question?  Why ask for what reason I'm canceling my flight?  And what possible fucking answer would suffice if "My Dad just died from cancer and to top it off I've got cancer, just had a week long stay in the hospital and I've got bacteria in my blood" isn't good enough for a full refund?  Was it that the icy-cold customer rep is so darn inquisitive about everyones lives that she wanted to know how mine was going?  Does JetBlue make a habit of hiring Sadists to answer calls, make people re-live the sorrowful things that necessitate the change in plans only to gleefully inform them that helping anyone out during a bad time in their lives is against their corporate policy?  Or, are they possibly just a bunch of Fucking Assholes? 

So I have made two pledges.  One - never fly JetBlue again.  Two - dedicate a little time each post to remind those that read this blog that no one should ever fly their miserable little airline.  Below is their "Give Concerns" page so if any of you should feel the need after reading this to let them know what skeeving vermin they are feel free. 

http://jetblue.com/help/contactus/help_contact_problems.aspx

Fuck you, JetBlue.  Fuck you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Well that's the kind of thing I would have expected from United:
    http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/ubg/song1/

    ...but Delta? That truly shakes my faith. I just don't know which multinational corporations I can trust anymore these days!

    ReplyDelete