Friday, December 2, 2011

Not Fit For Man Nor Beast

Over the last couple of months The Lovely Girlfriend had been taking care of her parents dog (we'll call her Dog, cause that's what she is) while they were away on vacation.  I am a big fan of just about every kind of dog with the exception of the annoying yip dogs that pseudo-celebrity bimbos tend to keep in their purses.  Otherwise, I love dogs.  I grew up with dogs.  I also grew up with cats but I can't say that I am a fan.  If you have a cat in your house that also means you probably have a box of shit in your house.  Who wants to live with that?  Anyway, dogs are aces in my book.  So I was more than happy to have a dog at our place when I returned to Los Angeles. 

Since we were staying the night in a hotel in Paso Robles and bringing the dog with us we needed to book a pet friendly motel.  Despite growing up with pets I don't think my parents ever brought them with us on a trip.  As such I was never exposed to the horror that is a pet friendly motel.  Otherwise, I would have known that pet friendly is code for "we do not employee maids."  The Dog didn't seem to mind although, truth be told, she was cleaner than the room.  The Lovely Girlfriend and I made the best we could out of it.  Reminding ourselves that we'd only paid seven dollars for the room after cashing in a hotel credit on hotels.com.  Seven dollars still seemed a little steep for these accommodations but hell at least we checked in late and would be checking out early.  The less time spent there the less likely we were to catch some sort of flesh eating bacteria. 

On the plus side, this pet friendly hotel was equipped with a thirty by thirty patch of grass as lush as I've ever seen.  Of course, when no one picks up after their dogs the lawn is bound to get pretty well fertilized.  This could have been the rough at the Masters.  I didn't dare venture out onto it as it was dark and I was wearing flip flops.  I just let the Dog roam free and blocked the exit in case she, like me, was disgusted by the conditions we were subjected to and tried to make a run for it.  I wouldn't have blamed her but thankfully, she didn't.  I guess she realized we were all in this together. 

So, if you are planning a stay in Paso Robles and are travelling with a pet you may want to consider simply camping out under an overpass.  It's probably got better amenities than the Travelodge at 2701 Spring St. Paso Robles, CA 93446.

No comments:

Post a Comment