Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Little Rain, A Little Snow, a Slight bit of Gloom

I don't want to spend too much time on this topic as I don't feel that the offending "company" deserves the space in my uber-popular blog negative or otherwise but I have to share this with you.  The United State Postal Service is flat out terrible.  For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone ever mails anything of importance through the USPS.  If they weren't a quasi Federal department with a monopoly on standard mail delivery I highly doubt they would be able to remain in business.  Here was my conversation on Monday with the surly postal worker at my local post office. 

Me - "Hey, Merry Christmas, how are you today?"

Postal Worker - "Go fuck yourself."

Me - "Wow, guess I should have said Happy Holidays.  It was wrong of me to assume you celebrated Christmas"

Postal Worker - "Are you still here?  What do you want?"

Me - "I'd like to mail this package of gifts to the love of my life, is there anyway I can make sure it gets there by Christmas."

Postal Worker - "You're lucky I don't climb across this counter and gouge your eyeballs out."

Me  - "I hate to do this, I'm normally a very level headed person, but I must request to speak to your supervisor."

Postal Worker - "Hey boss, there's some super handsome asshole here that wants to talk to you."

Postal Manager - "Damn!  He is good looking!"

Alright, that could be (just possibly) a slight exaggeration of the events.  I cannot exactly recall if they referred to me as handsome or stunning.  It was pretty hectic in there, what with mail clerks pummelling the unsuspecting residents of Old Town who'd wandered in believing they could send or receive mail in an expedient manner.

Here's the truth.  I asked - can I make sure the Lovely Girlfriend would receive the package by Christmas (six days away)?  No, we make our best effort to get it there by then but no, there is no guarantee.  Okay, could I insure it?  Someone will have to sign for it.  The Lovely Girlfriend works during the day, can I leave instructions as to where it could be left in a secure location or possibly signed for by a neighbor?  You can leave the instructions but there is no way to promise those instructions will be followed by the mail carrier.  Fine, where is the nearest FedEx or UPS maybe they can handle this daunting task?  I don't know.

I don't know.  The lack of assistance was so great that the postal worker actually pretended that they didn't know where or if there were any competitive stores in the area.  Someone standing behind me in line, waiting their turn to be yelled at, was nice enough to point me toward the UPS store on Broadway in Bangor.  I paid about seven dollars more at UPS, was treated like a human being and not a convicted sex offender and they absolutely guaranteed that six days was more than enough time to deliver the package by Christmas.  As the UPS worker pointed out - If we can't get it there in six days we're not worth much.

Exactly.     

Thursday Night NFL

Houston -6.5 over INDY - I know the Colts got their first W last week but so what?  They're still a absolutely lousy football team.  The Texans had a little bit of a division winning hangover last week, they'll get back on track by wailing on the Colts tonight.

Last week - 6-10

No comments:

Post a Comment