Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Home

No matter where I've lived over the better part of the last twenty years I've always referred to Maine as home.  While briefly in college in Hartford (not a surprise, if the building could get up and leave Hartford they would).  As much as I loved New York.  As much as I disliked Nashua.  As often as I wished I was only visiting Boston and still living in New York and not the other way around.  And as fan-fuckin-tastic as Los Angeles is.  It has only been within the last two plus years that I've begun to adjust my frame of reference.  It's not that I ever intended to return to Maine for the rest of my life.  Far from it.  Rather, until two years and nine months ago my life always felt kind of temporary.  Part of that feeling could have been due to the fact that I lived in an apartment that could have easily passed for a large college dorm room.  Furnished with nothing that cost more than twenty dollars.  Decorated with movie posters and tiki light strings and a carpet that saw a vacuum around every change of season - only the seasons never change in Los Angeles.  As you can imagine, the ladies entertained there were always impressed with my ability to keep house.  When the Lovely Girlfriend saw the place for the first time she would have turned and run had I not blocked all the exits.  And covered her mouth to keep her from screaming for help.  Who ever said I don't understand the art of seduction? 

Over the last couple years a seismic shift has taken place.  Whereas in the past I always looked at my apartment as stopping point between destinations Our Place has become The Destination.  In part because the Lovely Girlfriend has taken over the decorating department so it looks like adults live their and not The Delta House.  I'm not saying we'll live there forever.  We still have our big plans, dream homes, ideal neighborhoods.  It's the living arrangements that feel permanent.  No matter where the two of us are, together it's home.  After over seven months apart I will finally get to return home.  And about two weeks ahead of schedule.  The days to launch cannot go by fast enough.

So as if the previous paragraph wasn't sappy enough I'm going to share with all of you one of Our Songs.  Its extensive use in an NFL ad campaign not withstanding, this has been running through my brain for several days now and I thought I should share it.  See you in about 14 days, Darlin.







No comments:

Post a Comment