Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Jan 22nd Redux

In an effort to get this blog turned website back on track I'm going to re-start the Cancer Cross Country Road Trip story. I'll skip ahead a bit and just remind you at I woke at 3am for a 4:30am start time, we got lost in Bergenfield, NJ because they don't believe in posting street signs and I made it down to my Aunt & Uncle's place in time to catch both the AFC & NFC Championship games.

Once there, I got to meet the newest addition to the extended Cancer Family. An adorable six-or-so-month old boy. He was happy, funny, energetic and scared to death of me. I wasn't completely surprised. A lot of little kids are terrified by strikingly handsome people. I'm pretty sure there's a number of scientific studies that attest to just that. Or it could have been my outrageously deep and scratchy voice thanks to the radiation. Or my three months past due for a hair cut mane of hair. Or the mangy beard that was falling out in patches around my neck. Also due to the radiation. I guess what I'm getting at is I was liking a little jacked up only 4 days removed from treatments and the little fella recognized that. On the plus side, after about six hours of exposure to me he was finally ready for a picture. Or, perhaps, he was just too tired to fight it when his Mom put him in my arms. Either way, we got some very nice photos of me smiling and him looking apprehensive at best, confused as to why his loving mother would do this to him at worst. I'm almost certain you will eventually be able to find the photos on some web site that specializes in babies crying on the laps of Easter Bunny's, Santa's or elderly relatives.

After the games were over (The Raven's gave that victory away) I watched my first ever episode of American Idol. I've seen clips of course. You can't even watch the National News without some update. Which is incredibly sad by the way. How is the winner of a TV game show news? That's basically all it is. If Betty from Grand Rapids doesn't make the news when she wins big on Wheel of Fortune than neither should whatever one and done pop star remake when they win Idol. It's not news! Walter Cronkite reported on wars, the moon landing, the assassination of JFK and MLK, would you ever expect him to report on Thursday night eliminations? I'm not some kind of news connoisseur but it should be clear to all of us shit like that simply does not deserve reporting. I can see why the show has the following it does. I haven't started watching regularly but I have to admit it was comical. There are buckets and buckets of crazy desperate people out there. Under the right editing they can be awfully funny.

I had big plans for the following day so I headed to bed early. Tomorrow, I was gonna see my Nana. I needed all the strength I could muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment