Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Snowshoe, PA

If you ever find yourself feeling like your life couldn't possibly get worse, remember, you could live in Snowshoe, Pennsylvania. The place were hope goes to die. The little town that couldn't. Population 765 and quitting.

I had the horrible misfortune of passing through Snowshoe on January 24th, 2012. A day that will live in infamy. Possibly a better description of this occasion would be I was lucky enough to escape Snowshoe. You see, I hadn't been warned. I was unaware that palpable desperation would cling to you the moment you set foot inside town limits. I did not know that melancholy could actually manifest itself as a color. I never expected a stop for gas and coffee while on a road trip across country could make me question my faith in a higher power. If there is a God, how could he (that's right, he!) allow a place like Snowshoe to exist?

I'd like to say Snowshoe, PA would be a great location for an end of the world movie or possibly one of the dozens of living dead films that pop up every year. I cannot make such a recommendation. Having tried to take a picture to capture this atrocity, I can tell you that film exposed while in Snowshoe refuses to develop. Even digital! It's as if the complete and total lack of happiness sucks the light out of the air and you are left with a blackness as dark as Bill Belichick's soul.

So much like the start of most bad horror movies, I warn all of you - Don't go down there. Nothing good can come of it. There are some things you can't un-see. If you do make it out, you'll never again be the same person that went in.

But if you do stop, grab a bite to eat at Exit 22 Cafe and be sure to have the pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment