Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mad Man

I have recently come into the employ of an advertising agency. I have no experience in this field but being a huge fan of the show Mad Men I figured I'd know exactly how to handle my first day at work. I started by sexual harassing the secretary. That's what she called it anyway. I would call it banter between a red-blooded male and a dollfaced dame. After filling out some kind of "first and final warning" paperwork I went to pour myself a double bourbon. Would you believe they have a no drinking at work policy in this office! How am I supposed to sell cereal to housewives if I can't pickle myself during a brainstorming session? Fine, I figured, I'll smoke instead. Nobody ever got tipsy on the soothing tar of Chesterfields. Last I checked, nicotine stimulates the T-Zone, just what I need for a creative breakthrough. When I lit up... you would have thought I'd shot bambi. I'm aware of the no smoking ban throughout most of America but I never thought it extended into the world of advertising. How am I to go all Don Draper on a slogan without a cigarette? The next thing you know they'll be asking me to treat women and minorities as equals! I'm fine with that in the outside world but this is Advertising! I did not go out and buy a skinny tie and a bucket of brillcream so I could treat everyone equally! What kind of bullshit is that!?

I tried to explain to everyone that I needed to behave this way in an effort to stimulate my creative juices. They didn't believe me. Instead they insisted that I was only using it as an excuse to behave like a world class mysoginist. They may have been on to something. We eventually worked it all out. After some intense negotiation we settled on me getting paid like it was 1961.

No comments:

Post a Comment