Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Like Farming, only Weaker

No matter how manly the man odds are he's got something in him that makes him just a bit of a twinkie. For me it's gardening. I try to look at it like I'm some kind of big city farmer, living off the limited amount of unpaved land available to me. Farmers are a rugged bunch. Not like the floral hatted Nancy's that engage in plant potting activities. In an attempt to fool myself I often don bib overalls and a straw hat just for the three minutes I spend watering my tomatoes. It feels a whole hell of a lot more manly than the apron and pruning shears I normally work with. It doesn't eliminate the Tinkerbelle that runs rampant in my hobby of growing the plumpest, juiciest tomatoes possible but it at least masks the image.

I found out recently that a buddy of mine is a big fan of musicals. He's a kind of a new friend really and if it hadn't been for my inherent understanding of the little bit of lady that lives in all real men I would have gotten up from our romantic dinner together and stormed out to the handsome cab waiting for us curbside. Musical theatre! Really! It's hard enough to make new friends for me because deep down inside I'm an unbending asshole and I expect everyone to see things from my point of view from the start or change theirs if they don't. I'd thought I'd found a fellow dickhead to commiserate with until he goes unburdening himself with confessions of a love for Le Miz? Under other circumstances that would have brought an end to any further hang outs. Not because I'm incapable of being friends with someone that is not as masculine as I am, if that was the standard set I'd never have any friends as I stand at the top of the manly man mountain. No, it would have been the end of future hanging out because I find musical theatre to be one of the most offensive forms of entertainment known to man. But as I garden and recognize that each man must have at least one (but no more than three) really girlie habits I am able to overlook this colossal flaw in my new pals character. What a magnanimous gesture on my part. That I would forgive a human failing on the level of enjoying musical theatre! Damn, I'm a good fuckin person!

It's all because I realize that each on of us has that one thing (but it better damn well not be more than three) that makes us a little more like a gal than a guy. For me it's my garden. For him it's musical theatre. For another friend it's those annoying photos of cats with completely un-amusing captions (you know who you are, don't deny it). We've all got it and I say instead of denying it or hiding it from others be proud of your inner tink. As a matter of fact, I'm going to add updates on my garden as a part of this blog. I refuse to be ashamed. I Garden! So what of it. It doesn't make me any less of a man. If anything the only thing that could possibly make me less of a man would be the girdles and dresses I wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment