Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Way Life Should Be


I will be spending this weekend at a hunting camp in the woods in Maine.  This is a real camp not some year round full time home tucked away in the woods parading as a camp.  There is no electricity.  You have to light kerosene lamps.  There is no running water.  You have to get your water from a handpump well.  All the cooking is done on a woodburning stove or in the firepit.  Cell phones don't work at camp.  Well, technically they do work, a super clear signal really, but that's what you tell your wives and girlfriends as to why you can't be reached.  Also, there is a outhouse. 

I will be, in no particular order, chopping wood, tending the campfire, whittling, smoking a pipe and ruminating.  Most of those activities will be repeated multiple times.  Especially the whittling and the ruminating.  If all goes well by Sunday I will look a little like this.
Now That's Grizzled!
If you never hear from me again after Friday it's because I have decided to give up on civilization and live off the land.  Or I was mauled by a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment