Sunday, August 7, 2011

Everyone will be there!

Last night I went to the Bangor State Fair. For those of you that don't already know, the fair circuit is HUGE in Maine in the summertime. I don't know if when coming up with Maine's slogan "The Way Life Should Be" they were thinking of fried dough and poorly constructed/barely supervised high speed rides of death but whenever I think of Maine it's high on my list.

As much as I love Maine there has always been a severe deficit of things to do once the sun goes down - besides sitting in a field getting hammered on Allen's Coffee Brandy (sadly, the un-official adult beverage of Maine). I'm not judging. It's something I've indulged in too many times to count (for the record, Jim Beam is the official adult beverage of Jules) but since I'm not supposed to drink while on chemo and am no longer nineteen my entertainment needs had to be satiated elsewhere.

I was there for approximately four hours. This was about three hours and forty-five minutes too long. All I can say about the Bangor State Fair is if you can walk from one end to the other and not come out the other side feeling a whole lot better about yourself, you are incapable of positive thought.

I left the fair saying to myself - Thank God the only thing wrong with me is I have cancer!

Ozzy Ozbourne concerts have a smaller collection of Ozzy Ozbourne t-shirts then the fair. Actual homeless people are more presentable then most of the attendees at the fair. There could not possibly be enough Acid Wash in the world to properly care for all the Acid Washed Jeans at the fair. Mulletts - back in style. Neglecting your Children - also in style, at the fair.

I am already the count your blessings type. After a walk through the midway I was a count your brain cells type.

The Bangor State Fair! Everyone will be there!

3 comments:

  1. You have said what many of us feel - I go to the fair to feel better about myself and my lot in life. It always works. :)The good news - my childhood state fair, the Topsham Fair, starts this week. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bangor State Fair, like Wal-Mart with lots of rides. Do they still admit you for free if your BMI is over 30?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing it takes a BMI of 45 or better to get in for free. At 30 the only people they'd be charging are the children - some of the children. Shit, there's a lot of fat kids in Maine.

    ReplyDelete