Thursday, August 18, 2011

There's always a sequel

Cancer Roadtrip Part II

Thursday August 11th - Once I was able to rouse The Colonel from what appeared to be his surprisingly comfortable slumber in the tub, we found his pants and headed for NYC.  How his pants got on our neighbors balcony I have no idea.  We parted ways at the New Rochelle MTA stop and he told everyone within ear shot "I shall return!"  I tell ya, The Colonel is a hoot.

I scarfed down my first slice (technically three slices but who's counting) of New York pizza at Two Boots in Grand Central Terminal.  I'm partial to what I think is their original location in the Village but I was getting remarkably close to punching an old woman that kept bumping into me so I thought some food would take the edge off. 

It didn't.  She went down like a ton of bricks.  You'd think somebody with a walker could take a solid shot but no.

After a quick getaway I checked into our hotel - Free Coffee and Cookies in the Lobby - and awaited my Lovely Girlfriend.  We'll skip over the particulars of her arrival (Smiley Face Emoticon would go here if I wasn't All Man and refused to use such sissy things) and jump to our Historical Drinking Tour. 

August 12th, 13th & 14th - If you are unfamiliar with Historical Drinking then you clearly haven't been following my blog, shame on you.  In brief, it's visiting the oldest bars you can find, drinking your face off and claiming it's all in the name of higher education.  Here's the list - The Fraunces Tavern, 1719.  The Paris Cafe, 1873.  The James Brown House aka The Ear Inn, 1817.  McSorley's Old Ale House, 1854.  Pete's Tavern, 1864.  PJ Clarke's, 1884.  The Palm, 1926.  Donohue's, 1950.  The Hi-Life, 1991 (okay, some of them are just bars.  So sue me).  The Subway Inn, no known date, also nothing even remotely historical here, kind of dangerous really. 

We also hit Coyote Ugly, which has never been the same since Tyra Banks ruined it.  I know Piper Perabo was the star and Tyra Banks only a supporting part but I think Piper Perabo is kinda cute and Tyra Banks has that annoying talk show so I'm placing all the blame squarely on her manly shoulders.

If anyone reading is a venture capitalist (or just has a bus and some free time) I'd like to start a tour company that specializes in Historical Drinking.  There's got to be at least a dozen major US cities where this would absolutely work.  Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans and San Francisco would be no-brainers to start.  We'd hire Well Educated Lushes as tour guides, I've got a few friends in mind already.  This is the stuff you come up with when you sit around all day fighting cancer.  Sorry, but I am contractually obligated with blogspot to drop at least one cancer reference in each post.  Seriously, this is a killer idea, someone come up with some cash for it.

We ended our trip with a visit to the new apartment of our LA Friends that recently re-relocated back to New York and their Adorably Giant Baby Boy.  This kid is a monster and about as cute as any child can get without crossing over to the cartoon zone.  That's when someone stops appearing human and instead takes on the looks of a caricature that you would take home from a street fair.  It's not cute, it's just sad.  But this kid is not there.  He's just damn cute.  And big.  And his folks are the salt of the earth and I wanted to include them in this blog so the kid gave me that opportunity.  So there.

Anyway, it's past midnight and I'm getting a little punchy from the chemo so I will sign off with a big Thank You to all that made the Cancer Roadtrip possible.  The Colonel/Admiral/General/Commandant, My Lovely Girlfriend, Our LA Friends, Our Feisty Insurance Adjustor and The General's Brother.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Finally, I was recently informed that my Father needs to take a trip down to Boston and visit Dana-Farber.  He'll need someone to drive him (me) and of course my Mother will want to come.  If we can only talk my Sister into joining us...

Cancer Family Roadtrip!!!




2 comments:

  1. I have the next two weeks off and would LOVE to go to Boston. Can I get in on the family roadtrip Jules?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only if you agree to let my sister give you cancer.

    ReplyDelete