Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mr. Cancer Fitness USA

As a long time proponent of yo-yo dieting (I like to keep my body guessing, will he be fat this month or will he be thin?), I've always hoped that one day I would create my own borderline un-healthy crash diet that would sweep across the nation via trashy supermarket rags and poorly interpreted word of mouth. Something like - The Charelston Chew Diet! Apparently, the energy burned in your jaw makes up for all the empty calories?!

When I started to read about all the side effects of Chemo I thought - "A last! I've found the perfect crash diet." Can't you just imagine it? Glossy covers of People, US and Star touting the newest diet of Hollywood's Hotties. The Chemo Diet. Audrina Patridge lost all her baby weight in just three sessions! Pam Anderson stays slim thanks to it! Jessica Biel got ready for her Oscar Winning Night with it! I guess that's how you know it's just a fantasy. Jessica Biel's not ever winning an Oscar.

But Miss Biel's horrible acting ability is beside the point. All the literature supports my theory, chemotherapy is a fantastic way to shed those unwanted pounds.

So why is it that when I look in the mirror I am undoubtedly doughy-er? I'd go back to my P90X workouts but as we already covered, it probably causes cancer. I've been told to eat as much protein as I can while on chemo and get lots of rest. I thought for sure that the combination of an Atkins diet (one of my favorites to yo-yo diet with), toxic chemicals coursing through my body and extended time spent on the couch would be a sure fire ab-ripper. Instead I am getting as squishy as the swollen glands that lead me to this.

So what happened to the Chemo Diet I was so anxious to champion? Not only am I not losing weight, I'm packing on the pounds! How many people in this world manage to have both a weight problem and a cancer problem? My only conclusion can be that I am simultaneously beating cancer and chemo at the same time!!

Take that, Historical Experts that say no one has ever prevailed in a war with two fronts!

5 comments:

  1. Every post has made me laugh out loud. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 year breast cancer survivor, chemo and weight gain omg 40 pounds later.... keep the faith and eat what u can handle and keep ur sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 year breast cancer survivor, chemo and weight gain omg 40 pounds later.... keep the faith and eat what u can handle and keep ur sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Angie! Appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, just did a weigh-in today. As it turns out I've only gained about two lbs but I suspect that the lack of activity and the chemo are just making me feel flabby. I'll keep fighting and you keep reading. And please feel free to share with your friends & co-workers (even the one's that aren't your friends).

    ReplyDelete